07 August, 2007

Friends

There's a new study, described by Newsweek (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20149020/site/newsweek/), published by Virginia Commonwealth University that suggests there's a large genetic role played in how we choose our friends. The study focused on males age 8-25, and the investigators found that not only do genes play a role in choosing friends, but that this role grows even more influential as we age. The study's authors say that as a child, environmental factors limit our choice of companions--your parents need to approve of friends, you can't travel to meet people so you befriend your neighbors, and you see your classmates every day. As you grow older, though, you get a car, go to a large university, and move away from your family. Without the same environmental limits you were faced with as a child, your genes are free to shape your choice of friendships.

This study made me very happy because it is one more tidbit of evidence that I am an incredibly lucky person. For the most part, my closest friends are those that have been my friends since childhood. Two of my best friends were with me in elementary school, and two others in middle school. I have built strong friendships with people I met in high school and college, but for the most part I still feel closest to my oldest friends. This made me think--not only did I happen to meet people who fit my environmental limits as a kid, but my genes still "approve" 12 or 13 years later. I feel, quite sincerely, like my friends were placed in my life to help fulfill it. I've learned so much from my closest buds and have grown immensly with their help. I'm incredibly excited to move to New York and start the next phase of my life, but I'm torn that this phase is making me move away from my friends. I know most young college graduates go through this very experience, but honestly, I feel I'm probably closer to my friends than most college graduates are.

Anyway, I guess this post is just one big thank-you to my friends for being there, and for having qualities my genes endorse.

Also, since I've been quite bored lately, I've been watching dissections from the anatomy course at the University of Wisconsin (where my PI did med school). For anyone interested, here is the link:
http://www.anatomy.wisc.edu/courses/gross/index.html

No comments: